The Korea Herald > National > North Korea
North Korea denounced the United States' forward deployment of additional nuclear bombers to Guam on Wednesday, threatening that American military bases in the Pacific region will face "ruin" in the event of reckless acts.
"The introduction of the nuclear strategic bombers to Guam by the US... proves that the US plan for a preemptive nuclear strike at the DPRK has entered a reckless phase of implementation," the North's state-run Korean Central News Agency reported in a statement issued by the foreign ministry.
Earlier this month, the US moved B-1B and B-2 nuclear bombers from Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri to Guam as tension is running high on the Korean Peninsula.
"Such military moves by the US are part of its sinister strategy to contain Russia and China in the Asia-Pacific and maintain its military hegemony in the region, not just aiming at a surprise preemptive nuclear strike at the DPRK," the statement said, calling the country by the abbreviation of its official name, Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
The DRPK and its army will not remain "on-lookers" to the US nuclear threats, but will "whet more sharply the treasured sword of nuclear weapons of justice" to defend the country's sovereignty and security," the statement said.
"If the US is reckless, misjudging the trend of the times and the strategic position of the DPRK, all the US military bases in the operational theatre in the Pacific including Guam will face ruin in the face of all-out and substantial attack to be mounted by the army of the DPRK," it stressed.
It is the fixed stance of the DPRK to fundamentally remove the danger of a nuclear war imposed by the US by dint of a powerful nuclear deterrence, the report said. (Yonhap)