Guam sailor, 25, killed: Corpsman 29th casualty from region
By William B. Martin Jr. • Pacific Sunday News • August 10, 2008
A 25-year-old son of Guam was killed in Afghanistan recently, bringing the island's casualties to five this year.
Petty Officer 2nd Class Anthony "Tony" Carbullido, who was a Navy hospital corpsman, is the 29th death from the region since the War on Terror began in 2001.
Carbullido was married to Summer Carbullido, who lives in the couple's home in Chicago. The couple have no children.
Carbullido's father, Anthony Carbullido, said the family was notified early yesterday morning.
Carbullido's father said he was told by a Navy chaplain that an improvised explosive device was involved in his son's death. He said he couldn't recall the exact date the incident happened.
Carbullido was on his second tour of duty. He had previously been deployed to Iraq.
Kevin Diego, a friend to the sailor, said he will always remember Carbullido's upbeat demeanor, especially at social functions.
"Tony is the kind of guy that never had a bad day," he said. "Not a care in the world. Everyone has their ups and downs; Tony's were almost always up."
More than 4,100 U.S. service members have been killed since 2001.
Lt. Donnell Evans, public affairs director for Naval Forces Marianas, yesterday said he couldn't release any information until 24 hours after the family has been notified, in accordance with Navy policy. Evans said information will be released today.
The sailor was last in Guam -- where he was born and raised -- in March, his father said.
A special Mass was said for the fallen son of Guam last night at Mount Carmel Church in Agat. Services will be announced later, according to the family.
There were 10 regional casualties -- five from Guam -- last year. To date, 17 sons of Guam have died in the War on Terror -- the highest number of casualties from the region. All deaths this year have been from Guam.