Thursday, March 03, 2011

4 Guam First nominees to meet Saturday

Written by
Oyaol Ngirairikl from Pacific Daily News

The four individuals nominated by Chamorro rights organizations will meet this Saturday and determine who among them will sit on the Guam First Commission.

There were 11 organizations that turned in nominations by the 5 p.m. Tuesday deadline. The nominees are Trini T.Torres, Frank J. Schacher, Antonio Artero Sablan, and Michael 'Miget' Lujan Bevacqua. Bevacqua was the only person nominated by more than one organization.

Joseph Artero-Cameron, head of the Department of Chamorro Affairs, said the four will meet at the Chamorro Village Conference Room in Hagåtña 10 a.m. Saturday.

"These are all very educated individuals with the best interest of the Chamorro people at heart and I think any one of them will do very well on the commission," Artero-Cameron said.

The representative of the Chamorro rights organizations is the last seat on the 18-member commission.

Other organizations have nominated their representatives.

Gov. Eddie Calvo announced last month that he would convene the Guam First Commission, which has been dormant since its creation in 2008.

The 18-member commission was meant to be a single point of contact for the military expansion and a counterpoint to the Defense Department's Joint Guam Program Office. But the previous administration opposed the commission because former Gov. Felix Camacho said there were redundancies with his Civilian Military Task Force, which had been meeting for years, Pacific Daily News files state.

No comments: